Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The Menu and Soundtrack of the Trip

I decided to keep a travel log of the food that I consume and the music in the rental vehicles.  

In each location I pick up a rental van.  I keep it on whichever station was left on the radio, either from the employees who drove the vehicle or the last person to rent it.  Like I mentioned in my Memphis blog, I think music adds the soundtrack to our lives, and I wanted to include a unique (an completely random) soundtrack to this experience.   We’ll see how long I keep this up. 

In terms of food, well, it is very much a part of our culture and our local identities.  In each place I am trying to have local cuisine that I think of as specific to that area or region.  For the most part we are straying away from the larger chain restaurants, unless that is our only opportunity to eat.  Otherwise, we are intentionally trying to experience local culture.

 

Day One (Memphis)

 

Soundtrack:  Southern Crunk Hip Hop

Menu:  BBQ Ribs from Blues City Café

             Traditional Indian Cuisine from Rashina’s Family

 

Day Two (Little Rock)

 

Soundtrack: Gospel

Menu: Fried Chicken, mashed potatoes, corn, banana pudding from Kitchen Express

 

Day Three (New Orleans)

 

Soundtrack:  Pop/R&B

Menu: Rice and Beans with Hot Sausage from Johnny’s

            Bread Pudding from Acme 


Day Four (San Antonio)


Soundtrack: Jazz

Menu: Chili Con Carne and a Tamale from Casa Rio


Day Five (El Paso)


Soundtrack:  I heard the Stones "You Can't Always Get What You Want"  --it was perfect.

Menu: Lunch was a buffet in a mess hall on Fort Bliss

      Tri-Colored Enchiladas from G & R's

No comments: