Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Manifestation of my Revelation

Day Two.

 

Little Rock, Arkansas.

 

As I write this, the links to Memphis are still fresh on my mind. 

 

When I was creating this class, I thought to myself… “What would I want to take from Little Rock?”  Like Memphis, Little Rock has a very storied history that is steeped in racial tension, with that same potential black eye that comes with it, and it is has its own version of Elvis.

 

Our first stop was Central High School and the Historic center that sits across the street.  The historic center was very well put together, and free; though it was the conversations with the two workers (I didn’t ask to use their names) that really drove home what we were about to experience.  They communicated just the right amount of cynicism and hope that one should expect when dealing with such a difficult and powerful story.  They said “America is like your mother, you might not always agree with her way of doing things… but she’s still your country, and the same way that you feel protective of your mother, you should feel that same about your country.” 




Graceland has around 600,000 visitors a year.  The Central High School Historic sight gets around 70,000.  It makes me question our priorities, although I felt a bit reassured when Pierce proclaimed, if he had a choice to take his future children to Little Rock to see Central or Memphis to see Graceland, he would certainly choose Little Rock.  There is hope.



 

Central High School is visually stunning.  I think we were all amazed when we saw the school from across the street.  It was interesting the energy that you felt when you walked onto campus.  People used the words nostalgia when referring to the ducks at the Peabody, as well as Graceland.  I wasn’t alive when the Little Rock nine decided to take their stand, but I sure felt a bit nostalgic when I approached those steps leading up to the front door.  It is a very powerful place, and unlike some of the other museums, we weren’t hurried along, we were allowed to take the time needed to process, or simply feel nostalgic. 

 

On the way to visit Little Rock’s version of Graceland, we passed the Peabody hotel.  Indeed, the ducks have been franchised.  Instead of a magnificent historic building, there was a tall skyscraper that dawned three red ducks across the rooftop near the sign.  I tried to coerce the students to watch the ducks parade out… I figured it would be a great bookend to the day before when we watched them jump into their fountain in Memphis.  Sad to say, I was out numbered, and I maintain my line that this course must be about shared ownership.

 

Bill Clinton is Elvis in Little Rock and the Clinton Presidential Library is Graceland.  I guess it is what one could or should expect when visiting a historical museum.  Although, I think too often we gloss over some of the “tough history” and provide a watered down version.  At Graceland, we heard about Elvis playing the piano on the morning of his death… We heard nothing about his drug addiction or that he died on a toilet.  I respect Bill Clinton, but there was no mention of Monica or even scandal in his administration.  He accomplished some amazing tasks as President, but he also offended a large portion of the population with his acts of infidelity.  I think it was those acts served as the catalyst for George W. Bush being elected into the Whitehouse.

 

We also visited….

 

Heifer International.

 

Kitchen Express.  A great little meat and three soul food experience.  4600 Asher St.

 

Awareness Center International.

 

I will elaborate on these later this evening.

No comments: